Why does the receptionist ask what is wrong with me when I am trying to book an appointment?
Our reception team are trained to ask certain questions in order to ensure that you can be directed to an appropriate health professional. This is because in addition to GPs our health professional team also includes;
- Nurse Practitioners who support our GPs in providing medical advice and are also able to prescribe medication
- Practice Nurses who are able to attend to nursing needs, for example dressing changes, injections, cervical smears, annual reviews and health checks
- Health Care Assistants who are able to provide (for example) blood tests, health checks and ECGs
Receptionists are asked to collect brief information from patients:
- To help our health professionals to prioritise home visits and phone calls
- To ensure that all patients receive the appropriate level of care
- To direct patients to see the most appropriate health professional
Reception staff are bound by confidentiality rules:
- Any information given by you is treated as strictly confidential
- The management team would take any breach of confidentially very seriously and deal with accordingly
- You can ask to speak to a receptionist in private away from reception desk
Appointments for emergencies are available on the day - bookable through reception. Once these appointments are fully booked, reception will pass any emergency requests on to the duty clinician who will provide a response (telephone call and/or appointment) within 24 hours (usually the same morning or afternoon that you have called).
We have routine appointments for Prescribing Advanced Nurse Practitioners on the same day so at most the waiting time is 24 hours.
GP's have a waiting time of approximately 2 weeks (depending on annual leave) BUT telephone appointments are available the same week with GP's so if a problem can be resolved over the phone e.g. medication requests/queries or review of investigations or follow up, please do remember to ask reception for a 'telephone appointment'.
We have an early morning surgery from 07:30 on Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri we also have a late night surgery each Tuesday from 18:30 to 19:30. These appointments are particularly useful for patients who work.
If you cannot attend an appointment for any reason please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to give the slot to someone else.